Thursday, February 5, 2009

Khmer lesson #1

a brief sample of Khmer. (Note: Khmer has its own script so this is just me writing out the sounds in my own way with our alphabet.)

K'nyom ch'moo'ah Dan. = My name is Dan.
aroon susedai = good morning
K'nyom dtou sala. = I'm going to school.
Nieng sa'at. = She is pretty.
dteuk dtoh goa = milk ('water breast cow')
dteuk trey = fish sauce ('water fish')
dteuk gork = ice ('water frozen'- you get the point)
p'tayah bai = kitchen ('house rice')


there are at least seven ways to say 'eat':

si bai: for animals and informal situations with friends
nyam bai: common
hoap bai: common
peetsa bai: very respectful for use with much older people
chann bai: for use with monks
soy bai: this is only for the king
(I forget the 7th way.)

1 comment:

c.b. said...

Boripoke! I think.